In order to participate in a Red Cross Lifeguarding course, you must be a minimum of 15 years of age.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control & rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface in order to det a breath. Candidates should not swim underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Candidate must demonstrate overall comfort in the water.
- Must be able to ascend & descend from designated lifeguard stations. e.g. water slide stairs & 8-foot lifeguard chair